Boys hope to pull off upset in playoff

Tyler Holmes, Staff Writer

For the third year in a row, the Spartan basketball team made the 5A playoffs. At the end of the 2017 regular season the Spartans record was 9-14 overall and 2-10 in league.

The Spartans head to Colorado Springs to face the Vista Ridge Wolves. Vista Ridge is a solid team and will be a big test for West. Vista Ridge is the 17th seed while West is the 48th.

Vista Ridge ended the regular season 17-6 overall and 11-2 in league. The Wolves roster includes a 6-4 Senior averaging 24 points a game who has received a full ride offer to play for the Wyoming Cowboys.

Despite ending the season on an eight- game losing streak, the Spartans took home some key wins in the beginning of the year that allowed them to sneak into the playoffs. The Spartans took home some key wins including beating Broomfield at their place and a triple OT thriller beating Aurora Central. Along with the key wins the Spartans had an extremely tough schedule allowing their RPI to be high enough to make playoffs.

“We’re excited that we made it in so we’re going to take advantage of it and play our best game,” sophomore Hunter Miller said. “We’ll focus on the scouting report and everybody will need to do their role to stop their main guy.”

The Greeley West Basketball team heads off to Colorado Springs on Wednesday. The game will start at 7 p.m.

–Drew Mendez contributed to this story