FCCLA projects earn high marks at state competition

Peyton Book, Staff Writer

Family Career Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) students caught a break from all the testing last week by attending their state competition at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Denver. The FCCLA members had been working on a project for the past eight months and each student had the opportunity to conduct any project they wanted.

Students took part in the competition for three days last week.

Junior Alexia Voss did her event on cake design. She designed a cake which represented the FCCLA motto for this year, “Start somewhere.” Voss fell short from qualifying for nationals and received a silver medal. Nationals is held in Nashville and you must be given a gold medal in order to qualify. Voss could not be reached for comment.

Other students, Lorenzo Castillo and Gabe Franco earned a bronze medal for their proejct.  They advocated against bullying through their project. Before state, the two sophomores went around to different elementary school to talk to third graders about bullying. Not only are these students being a voice in the community, they are also being a role model for children and classmates at Greeley West High School.

“I really like this event and what it was all about. I liked being about to speak up for someone who feels like they can’t speak up for themselves.” Franco stated.

He enjoyed his FCCLA experience because there was a lot of useful and helpful opportunities. He also met amazing friends and would want to do it again next year.