First-year tennis player enjoys time at No. 4 doubles

Jerod Clark, Staff Writer

Greeley West traveled to Horizon on Tuesday August 29. The Spartans did not come out victorious but there was something special about this match. Junior Hunter Miller won his first match of tennis – ever.

Miller decided to come out for tennis the previous Friday, leaving him just two practices to make the varsity team and play his first match. Miller had many friends on the tennis team and Coach Ryan Pace had tried to talk Miller into playing the past two seasons, so it was not a new idea.

Miller finally caved into the pressure and joined the team. Miller stated, “I really look up to Garrett Fink and he motivates me to continue getting better. It’s been a great start to my tennis career.”

Miller won a challenge match in practice to earn a No. 4 doubles roster spot.  His new partner, sophomore Isaiah Torrez, is also inexperienced. It is his first year of varsity play.  Miller exclaimed, “It is really fun playing with Torrez and we are good together. We have chemistry together because of baseball so I enjoy playing with him. Winning our first match was also very exciting, but it wasn’t as much hype because the team didn’t win.”

Torrez is just as excited to play with Miller.  “Hunter and I are an incredible combination. Whenever I get down he picks me up, or when he gets down I pick him up. We are going to continue to get better and hopefully make it to state this year,” Torrez said.