FFA kicks off year with Open Barn

Megan Battleson

Freshmen Christian Pedrego and Eduardo Bravo pet a a calf during the Open Barn at Greeley West.

Megan Battleson, Staff Writer

Last Wednesday evening, the agriculture shop at Greeley West was opened up to the public for FFA’s 3rd annual Open Barn.
Chickens, goats, lambs, bunnies, a dog, and a calf were featured as well as several informational booths accommodated by FFA members, and a refreshment table.

The 14 animals were all organized in a petting zoo fashion, where participants were encouraged to get close and pet them. The Open Barn is a good way to “get the community more involved with FFA at the school,” said Vice President of Chapters, junior Lauren Wagner.

Members volunteered to watch the animals and answer any questions that visitors could think of. Senior Jaelyn Salgado spent most of her time by the pig pen, “I love the pigs, they’re so cute,” she said.

The Open Barn was an opportunity to “interact with community members, family members, and showcase what we do,” said advisor Ms. Sam Maxwell.

Wagner, was excited to be “meeting all of the members and seeing how much involvement is in our chapter.”

The agriculture program at Greeley West consists of 350 different students, each of whom is considered an FFA member. In addition, the FFA classes elect 12 officers who run the organization with the help of Mr. Kelly Longacre and Maxwell as advisors.

They are looking forward to going to the National FFA Convention towards the end of October, and hope to continue finding future agriculturalists, said Maxwell.