Construction trades class begins dugout project for softball team

Junior+Bryce+Ewing+pushes+a+wheelbarrow+amidst+other+Construction+Trades+2+students+on+Thursday+as+they+laid+cement+for+softball+dugouts.+

Bobbie Moss

Junior Bryce Ewing pushes a wheelbarrow amidst other Construction Trades 2 students on Thursday as they laid cement for softball dugouts.

Bobbie Moss, Staff Writer

The students at Greeley West High School work as one big family.  The latest proof is the Construction Trades 2 and 3 classes who are building the softball team’s dugouts.

It has taken a few years, but the softball team is happy to finally be equal with the baseball team, whose dugouts were built two years ago by the Construction Trades class. As is typically the case, money and time were the delay.  Athletic Director Mr. Ken Denning, who green lit the project, said it’s been a “long process that is finally getting done.”

Mr. Jordan Karlberg said his Construction Trades 2 class, “has been working hard in the sun to pour 130 80-pound bags,” to build the footers of the dugouts.

The impact the learning has on the construction students is tremendous. Junior Bryce Ewing, stated that the work they have been doing, “teaches how hard and long people work when building houses and other buildings.”

Mr. Karlberg’s teaching assistant Taylor Berens finds enjoyment in “fixing things people mess up.”

Construction Trades 2 class has successfully been able to collaborate with the softball team to make sure their softball games are enjoyable and fun as possible. The work they have been providing will be a great service done to Greeley West High School.