Attention campers: cheerleaders hold annual clinic

Cheerleaders pose with their participants at their annual cheer clinic.

Mo Duran, Staff Writer

On Saturday February 3, the Greeley West cheerleaders held the Pee-Wee Cheer Clinic. This fundraiser happens twice per year, and is looked forward to by most of the cheerleaders. Mr. Brodie Subia, the coach of the cheerleading team, has been running this event since 2006, and before that he was a cheerleader on the team back in his high school years.

Families were allowed to sign up their young kids to learn for a fee. They were led through several different lessons including a dance, a cheer, and tumbling. The day lasted from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., with a short break for pizza in the middle. All of the kids were allowed to pick a cheerleader they would like to work with, forming several small groups to learn.

This weekend was one of the largest turnouts that there had been in years. With 61 kids in attendance, they nearly doubled the average of 34 kids they had in the past. Each child received a set of pom-poms and a t-shirt to commemorate the day. Along with the day of teaching, there is also a performance at the boys basketball game during halftime on Friday, February 9.

All of the cheerleaders in attendance had 5-6 kids per group. The kids were all about 5-7 years old. One of the cheerleaders, junior Julissa Arostegui, stated that “The day is going pretty good. Most kids are excited to learn things and it’s just a lot of fun.”