Torrezes win tennis tournament

The Torrez’s celebrate their victory at the Facaulty-Player Tennis Tournament.

Hailey Ortega, Staff Writer

The third annual Greeley West Faculty-Student Tennis Tournament was a lot different from the past two years in regards to who put the event together. A business class taught by Ms. Kory Zulauf during six period put the tournament together.

After talking to freshman Walker Marcum, who was the lead student in charge of the project said, “The tournament was a way for students and teachers to all get together and have fun.”

The business class had lined up sponsors for the event including Chick-fi-la and Mary’s Kitchen, who were going to donate food for the players. Human Bean and The Blue Mug were going to donate drinks for players.  However, when the even moved from October 13, those sponsors were unavailable.

The teacher player tennis tournament took place on October 20 at 8 a.m. For each doubles team, it was going to cost 15 dollars and the money was going to go to the tennis program to help pay for equipment and keeping the courts taken care of.

Teacher Brandon Torrez and Junior Isaiah Torrez won the tournament. Isaiah Torrez said, “It was a lot of fun playing with my dad and I would definitely have him as my partner again for next year.”

He also stated that there was a lot of arguing between the two about mistakes that they were making. According to Torrez, their hardest opponent was Senior Terrence Williams and Jane Burke, but they were still able to pushed through and win 4 out of 4 matches.