Construction trades classes will sell sheds at auction

Mr. Jordan Karlberg instructs his students as they build a shed.

Mackenzie Hora, Staff Writer

The start of a new project may seem daunting to some students, but not for this construction class. Construction trades 1-3 are creating garden sheds to sell at auction in the near future. The classes have shown hard work through their creations, already completing the foundation of the buildings.

“I hope this teaches students life experience and how to frame floors, walls and ceilings,” said Mr. Jordan Karlberg, the construction teacher. “It’s important to know how to use your hands.”

The blueprints used by the students for the sheds, were made by the students. Construction Trade 3, the most advanced class, created drawings and measurements for the Construction Trade 2 class to utilize while building. This gives real world application for students who want to pursue engineering or architecture. It also gives each building a unique style specially made from each student.

On December 14, all the hard work of the students will be presented at a CTE (Career and Technical Education) showcase night. This is a combination of all the subsections of CTE at Greeley West. An auction will be held to sell all the projects made by the students. This night will show what students learned throughout the semester. Each class will have a specific item to bring to the table.

To market and promote the night, the business department will hand out flyers at some of the West basketball games. With the sheds, the agriculture program will sell small projects and baskets they create. Foods classes will have a chili cook off. This will be an exciting night for the CTE program at Greeley West.

Karlberg hopes to sell each shed for $800-$1,000. With all the hard work and time put into each building, the price is justified.