Volleyball team holds on for five-set win against Poudre

Drew Mendez, Staff Writer

The Greeley West volleyball team ended their tough losing streak after they pulled out an exciting win last night against Poudre High School in five sets. West was able to get a big lead early after winning the first two sets fairly quick. However, Poudre was able to turn their game around and ended up winning the next two sets. However, West won out the battle with a score of 15-13 in the 5th set.

Senior Ashtyn Egan expressed  her thoughts about the win.   “It felt really good to finally win after the slump we’ve been in and I know it set a fire under our feet and helped us realize what we are capable of,” Egan said.

The Spartans believed that the game should have not gone to five sets but are still satisfied with the win. “Going into five sets against a team that we should have beat in three is definitely stressful but we all kept our composure really well and did what we needed to do on the court to finish it,” Egan said.

West hopes it can get a win streak soon and compete for spot in the playoffs.  Egan believes that this game started that streak. “It motivated us a lot because the last couple weeks we have been struggling, I think we really needed this win to get us going and help to play to our full potential and finish the last half of our season strong,” Egan said.

The Spartans have a tournament tomorrow competing in the Greeley Central Invite at Central. They will then have a home match against Monarch next Tuesday.