MYP freshmen attend Berthoud leadership conference

Brody Clark, Staff Writer

In an effort to build the IB program for continued long-term success at Greeley West, new IB Coordinator, Ms. Marie Beach is sending students to various leadership conferences.  On Monday, October 3, some IB freshman were given a chance to go to a leadership conference in Berthoud.

“The IB Program is great and we have to keep building it up. (One way to do that) is getting the freshman to start their high school careers off great,” Beach said.

The conference was more of an individual learning time followed up by a speech given by an inspirational speaker. The whole conference is based off school learning and how to be a good student. They started the day off by working on a project and working as a group in the project. After they did the project they got to listen to an inspirational speaker, Mike Smith. He is a world renowned skateboarder. He is a millionaire and he gives out millions of dollars a year. During his speech he gave out a $500 skateboard to a freshman.

IB secretary Ms. Yvette Finger took the freshman on the trip and said, “This was a great opportunity for the kids. The conference is to encourage students to improve climate and culture in their school community, which it did.”