West students get taste of Shakespeare in parking lot

Greeley West students sit outside and watch the Denver Performing Arts actors perform Shakespeare in the parking lot.

DAVE FALTER

Michelle Lopez, Staff Writer

Last week, a professional theater company put on a play in West’s very own parking lot. They were brought in by English teacher Mr. Stacy Ruffer and theater teacher Ms. Peggy Freemole from the Denver Center for the Performing Arts.

The company is part of the DCPA’s educational outreach program. There has been a grant funded to all Weld County schools that made it possible for the company to put on the play.

The company’s name is literally “Shakespeare in the Parking Lot.” They performed one of Shakespeare’s classics, Romeo and Juliet, but with a modern twist which included an old pickup truck in a parking lot as the setting.

“It was a really interesting concept and a new take on Shakespeare so I’m glad they came,” stated Ruffer. “We are definitely hoping to make this an annual thing for our language arts and theater students,” he added.

“I like how they incorporated the play with 21st century vibes,” stated Junior Maria Geesaman of the performance.

The company says they will be performing Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream as their next play which may possibly come to West.