Committee hopes essays bring about modern filling stations

Connor Fagan, Staff Writer

Ms. Marianna Poling and Ms. Julie Hagemeister and the rest of the Student Wellness Committee are sick of the current water fountains and are trying something new to get them changed. The new fountains they are hoping to get are Halsey Taylor filling station. They are $500 per station, but the Student Health Committee has a great idea to get that money.

There is a program called Water Sheds that gives money to participants that submit an essay to Water Sheds about how individually that student can help the environment. For every essay submitted, Water Sheds gives 10 dollars. If the essay submitted is good enough, the student has an opportunity to win $1,000 for themselves and for their school.

Poling shared some thoughts on the fundraiser: “It is such a great opportunity to raise money and make West more sanitary, but we need more students than just three in the Wellness Committee. If 100 kids out 1,700 kids would write this essay and submit it, it would be huge. These new high tech water fountains aren’t just something they want; they are a necessity,” Poling said.

The Student Wellness Committee has a vision, and it is reachable. They just need more than the five people that they have in it. Contact Poling  if you want new water fountains at West.