Business management project leads to new trees on campus

Junior+Mary+Tori%2C+right%2C+plants+a+tree+with+Taj+Liscano+and+Khieuran+Little+Bear+Goyathlay+last+week+on+campus.++

Michelle Lopez

Junior Mary Tori, right, plants a tree with Taj Liscano and Khie’uran Little Bear Goyathlay last week on campus.

Michelle Lopez, Staff Writer

Earlier this semester, Mr. Rich Davis assigned his business management students to create a service learning project of their choice and actually make it happen.

Junior Mary Tori decided to plant brand new trees around the school. “I’m such a big nature freak so I thought that doing a tree planting event would be great to involve students and make West prettier,” Tori said.

All of the four new trees and event expenses were paid for by the West Greeley Conservation District. The conservation district donated $1700 for the cause.

The trees were planted in the small front of the North student parking lot entirely by student and teacher volunteers. The planting occurred during lunch and lasted through 6th period on Thursday, October 27th.

Although this event was originally a project, it really helped Tori gain experience in the business world. “I want to go into a business career, so this project helped me see how the business proposal process works and how dealing with businesses provides an outcome.” stated Tori.

Tori’s advice to students who want to create change is to stay persistent. “Even though you are a student and not an official business person, you can make something great happen.”