Poms, Cheers win conference championships

Xavier Vasquez, Staff Writer

Last Wednesday, the Greeley West Spartans dance and cheerleading teams hosted the Front Range League Championships. The cheerleaders, coached by Mr. Brody Subia, competed in the co-ed cheer division against the Broomfield Eagles. Broomfield has been one of the top teams in the state for the past few years.

There were multiple other cheer teams that competed in the competition but they are in a separate division because they are girls only. Senior Evelin Javelera said, “Broomfield was very tough to beat and taking second we knew we were so close and I think that helped us be a lot more determined and focused over the year. There are only four seniors on the team and it’s a really good thing to have a young team and have everyone look up to us and rely on us.”

The cheerleaders will now have to keep on practicing as they will prepare for state in December.

The Greeley West dance team coached by Ms. Peggy Freemole also took first in the Hip-Hop dance division as they competed against three other teams. There were two teams competing in the Jazz division and one other team in the Pom division. The boys and girls are judged on technique, choreography, execution, performance, and overall effect. The dance team got the highest score out of all the competitors in the whole competition including cheer and all the dance groups.

Sophomore Jacelyn Hays said, “We went into the competition really confident and have been practicing really hard the past couple months. We hope to take this into State and Nationals.”

The Dance team will compete at State in December, then travel to Florida for Nationals in February.