West hosts second-round football game Friday after victory

The football team lines up for a fourth down play.

Drew Mendez

Drew Mendez, Staff Writer

The Greeley West football team won its first playoff game since 2011 in Saturday by topping Rampart in Colorado Springs with a score of 9-6.

A fourth and goal touchdown pass from sophomore Brody Clark connected with sophomore Jack Lovin for the game winning touchdown with 2 minutes left in the fourth quarter.

A missed extra point resulted in Rampart having the chance to tie the game up in their last drive. Rampart got to the Spartans’ 15-yard line and on fourth and two, they tried going for it. Seniors Darren Delacroix and Caleb Vannest made the tackle to force a Rampart fumble and a Spartan recovery.

West had a total of 137 yards and 98 of them being passing yards, while Rampart had 261 and 220 of those being rushing yards.

The win resulted in a home second-round playoff game this Friday at 7 p.m. against the Pine Creek Eagles. West will continue to do what they do and come out strong this Friday according to senior Darren DeLaCroix.

“First of all, we are all trying to recovery since it was really tough game as we expected. Then we will spend a lot of time watching film and figuring out what we can do to stop Pine Creek,” said DeLaCroix.

Since it was the first playoff win since 2011, the ‘curse’ is officially over. “The win was amazing. It was one of the best feelings I’ve had, I just couldn’t stop smiling. It was a really proud moment knowing the hard four years of work has payed off,” DeLaCroix expressed. “That was a really big win for our program and the city of Greeley. We needed that.”

West will host Pine Creek Friday night at 7 p.m. at District 6 Stadium.