AVID sophs provide holiday charity through Operation Christmas Child

AVID sophomores pose with their gifts as part of Project Christmas Box.

Tyler Holmes, Staff Writer

Every year a child in need goes through the Christmas season without receiving a gift. That is the reason why the non-profit organization Samaritan’s Purse, set up Operation Christmas Child.

Operation Christmas Child is a relief program run by the CEO of Samaritan’s Purse, Franklin Graham. This year Operation Christmas child was brought to West by the sophomore AVID classes.

The Sophomore AVID classes are taking this step by step. As a tutorial group of seven students, they found an empty shoebox. Next they decided whether they want to help a girl or a boy. Next they decided what age range they want their child to be in.

The ages rangd from 2 -4, 5-9 and 10-14. Next they fill the shoebox with gifts. Each student in the tutorial group is given a type of item. Some of these include things like toys, accessories, crafts, and more. Finally, they write a note and send it off to a third world country.

Alex Holquin is a student is Ms. Lea Sanford’s AVID class and he stated, “It was a cool way to help out kids who can’t afford things themselves. “

Operation Christmas Child is open to anyone willing to help. This non-profit organization is producing millions of gifts to children in third world countries who would go Christmas without any gifts.