Sophomore honored by superintendent

Jana Datteri, Staff Writer

Greeley West High School sophomore, Nashrah Mohdreza, was invited to the school board meeting to receive the “Superintendent Celebrate 6 Award.” Mohdreza was the first recipient of the award.

The “Superintendent Celebrate 6 Award” is an award given out to honor any community members or staff members in District 6 that are doing something to make a difference. On November 11, Mohdreza attended the board meeting and gave a speech over her whole process in making her film and fighting for equality. Mohdreza spoke about her experience at the White House and the different opportunities she has been given. Along with the speech she showed the board members her film.

Board member, Roger Dewitt, gave Mohdreza the award before she gave her speech to the administration. “It was very intimidating because in front of board members and other administration. I was told everything was televised so I was really nervous when I was told to also give a speech and I didn’t know I was supposed to do that. However, it was really cool meeting all the people behind the schools and district” Mohdreza said.

Mohdreza was the only student there that received an award. Other awards were given out to other community members including the Mayor of Greeley. After all of these opportunities Mohdreza has been given she is still fighting for what she believes in.

“I think it is important that we find something that we truly care about and we fight endlessly to advocate for whatever it may be. My fight for equality is something I’m determined to reach for so I am thankful for the opportunities I have been given.”