West wrestlers look for seven-straight against Grizzlies

Drew Mendez, Staff Writer

The Greeley West wrestling team will kick off its season tonight against the Grizzlies at Northridge High School at 6:30 p.m. The Spartans have faced the Grizzlies for their first match for the past couple of years, and have won the last six matches between the schools.

Greeley West will have a full lineup tonight. Wrestlers to look for will be 113-pound senior Curtis Federico, 182-pound senior Michael Gutierrez, 195-pound senior Xavier Vasquez, and senior Devin Sirio, who will be making his wrestling debut at heavyweight.

After the Northridge match, West will wrestle this weekend in the Fort Lupton Invitational as well. West hopes to open up their season with a win against Northridge, then get a good amount of matches in at the tournament to help lead them into the heart of their season.

Federico expressed some thoughts about tonight’s match. “I’m actually really excited for the match, it’ll be the first time I’ve wrestled in a while so I’m pretty pumped up. We’ve done a lot of drilling, so we know we’re ready,” Federico said.

After a hopeful win, Federico plans to get plenty of matches in and come out of it strong. “We’re gonna wrestle hard, go in strong and not give up,” said Federico.