Basketball season starts tonight in Nebraska

Xavier Vasquez, Staff Writer

The Greeley West Boys Basketball team looks to kick off their season this weekend as they leave for Scottsbluff, Nebraska this afternoon. They took second place last year in the tournament as they lost to Sidney, Nebraska in the Championship after upsetting some very tough teams.

The boys look to pick up where they left off from last season after losing in the second round of the 5A playoffs. That is going to be tough after losing four of the primary six players from last year due to graduation.

Returning players from last year’s team are senior Darren DeLaCroix and sophomore Andre Sepeda who will have to play a big role in order for them to return to where they were last year. Sophomore Hunter Miller will look to step up in a role where they he can help the team. He said, “It’s going to be hard to fill the shoes of all the players that are gone and our mentality and coach’s mentality for us sophomores are to just get better every day and every game. We are the future of this team so we need to prepare for future years and I think this year will be a key part for it.”

The Spartans may be young, but they know they can compete and play with anybody they play. They will play their first game of the Scottsbluff tournament tonight at 7 p.m. and look to avenge last year’s loss in their opening game in the tournament against a familiar foe who they lost to in the previous year in the championship Sidney.