Swimming season starts with multiple state qualifiers

Brody Clark, Staff Writer

The 2016 girls swimming team is off to a great start for their season. They have already competed in the Valley Invite which was December 3-4, and on December 6, they hosted Poudre. The team took fourth out of many teams in the Valley Invite.

Poudre was the first conference meet. The Spartans victory put them at 1-0 in conference. They will swim against Monarch on today.

Making state in swimming is much different than making state in any other sport. To make state you have to qualify a certain time for each stroke and the distance swam. The times are very hard to make and the team has already had multiple swimmers make the time.

Junior Elise Johnson, and freshman Grace Chahal both have qualified in an individual stroke and a relay.
Mr. Colin Shaha, the swimming coach at West, said, “Our goal is to have at least one relay place in the top 16 at State and if we keep doing what we are doing hopefully even two relays.”

The Greeley West swimming team dropped back down to the 4A conference instead of the 5A. “We will most definitely be able to compete in 4A and that is really exciting. The 4A times are much better for our swimmers,” Shaha said.

State is on February 10 and 11 at EPIC in Fort Collins. The team has a lot of time to improve and they are looking to do something to make history.