Concession stand will transform into coffee shop

Taylor Rivera helps a customer at the concession stand last week.  The concession stand will be replaced later this year with a coffee shop.

Drew Mendez

Taylor Rivera helps a customer at the concession stand last week. The concession stand will be replaced later this year with a coffee shop.

Michelle Lopez, Staff Writer

The high school business classes at Greeley West are about to make history at West once again. They will be opening a school coffee shop. GDUB’S is what the café will be named.

The inspiration for the café came from students in the Business of Strategies class when they were assigned by business teacher Mr. Rich Davis to put together a professional business plan in two months.
“Since the school motto this year is ‘Make History,’ the students decided to make actual school history by opening a coffee shop that if hopefully successful, will be here for many years,” stated Mr. Rich Davis.

The coffee shop will be solely run by the students in the Business of Strategies class for the remainder of this school year. In the years to come, it will eventually be ran by student TAs.

“It will be ideal for students because they will only be paying a fraction of the cost for a cup of coffee compared to other places while also being right outside the radius of their classes,” added Davis.

There will be a wide variety of choices to choose from at GDUB’S which includes coffee, smoothies, tea, breakfast burritos, muffins, and much more.

GDUB’s is predicted to open in late March following construction of the old school concessions stand during spring break. GDUB’S hours will be from 6:40 a.m. – 7:10 a.m. before school and during lunch. All forms of payment will be accepted.

This entire business project will be made possible thanks to Weld County School District 6 Nutrition Services, who will provide the food that will be sold. Students will sell the food and prepare it for sale.