Poms make semi-finals at Nationals

Brody Clark, Staff Writer

Every year the Greeley West Poms team travels to Florida to compete in Nationals. The whole event is hosted in Orlando Florida and at Disney World. The best dancing teams in America and even around the world go and compete at one of the highest levels of dancing in high school.
The two dancing that the Greeley West dance team put together are for jazz and hip hop. On Saturday, February 4th the Poms competed in their dances. They started with their jazz dance around 2:30 Colorado time. They started in the prelims and advanced to the semi’s with their jazz dance. The way it works is that there are three preliminary groups and 30 teams in each group. The top 9 teams from each group advance into the semi. The team placed 8th in their group. Sadly the Poms did their jazz dance a few hours later and barely missed the final.

This was a great accomplishment for the team as it has been almost six years since they made it to the semis. Peggy Freemole, the Poms coach said, “We had to fight our way into semis, and we accomplished it. I am very proud of what this team did.”
In hip hop the results weren’t exactly what the Spartans were looking to do. They did a great dance and felt like they did the best they could do but again fell short of making the semi round.
The Spartans are still a fairly young team with only two seniors and will be looking into next year to do even better. Paxton Parreria and Anna Medow, the two seniors said, “The improvement from last year to this year showed through our dances. Our practice, dedication, and teamwork really helped us get to where we are now.”
The Spartans now have a few days to relax in Florida after having to grind through weeks of hard practice and the actual dance. The team will make there way back to Greeley on Tuesday. The Poms team has always been a huge success and icon for Greeley West, and yet again they do it again this year.