Science students get physic-al with archery lesson

AP Physics students shoot arrows as part of an archery lesson in their class this week in the auxiliary gym.

Brody Clark

Brody Clark, Staff Writer

This week, Mr. Zach Armstrong took his physics classes to shoot archery in the auxiliary gym at Greeley West High School. The classes have been learning about momentum and energy transfer the last couple of weeks. What’s a better way of learning and understanding how momentum and energy works, then by shooting archery?

Armstrong has a teaching license in archery and also invited a guest from the Poudre Learning Center to help out. They both came in early and set up the shooting range in the aux gym. They had five targets set up, ten bows, and a ton of arrows.

Brody Clark
Mr. Zach Armstrong explains the point system behind archery this week in the auxiliary gym.

The students were first given a rope to be taught how to use their hands and fingers while shooting. Then they were taught an eleven step process on how to prepare, aim, and shoot in the most officiant way. Students got multiple chances to shoot five arrows at a target and challenge friends to see who got the best score. To finish the day, Armstrong has ten shooters play in a little tournament to see who the best shooter is.

Students really enjoyed getting out of the classroom and doing a fun activity that you don’t get to do every day. Junior physics student, Peyton Whittaker said, “It was really cool to learn how to shoot archery and learn how physics is related to archery. I feel like I learned a lot and learned in a really fun way.”