Is Senioritis real?

McGwire Bledsoe, Staff Writer

“Sen·ior·i·tis”: “A supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.”

If it has a recognized definition, it’s real right? According to the majority of seniors at Greeley West High School and students nationwide, senioritis is real and making its impact. Shown by some of the behaviors of students at Greeley West, this illness has resulted in a lack or inability to participate in class.

As senior year comes to a close, whether it be in high school or college, the majority of students have their classes and credits complete to graduate.  The only people still stressed about their grades are those in IB or who need a class to graduate, so the “goal” of being eligible to graduate, has already been accomplished by most.

This leaves students with nothing to pursue towards the end of the year. Can you see their point? Why expend energy in classes and “busy work” when one has already completed everything they needed to graduate.

One student who has been known to be terminally ill with this disease is senior, Chase Ludington, who currently has over 150 absences throughout the year. He is still well on his way to graduate easily and on time, so he had much to say on the topic. He stated, “It’s real (Senioritis). Even after transferring, I still had credits to work toward, but lacked the motivation to attend.”

Maybe it’s a choice, maybe it’s unavoidable (unlikely) but the fact of the matter is, seniors lose motivation, they lose interest, and have a valid reason if they’re eligible to graduate and have a plan post-graduation. Ultimately, the decision, is the students’ to make.

Chase Russell, another senior, said, “It’s not real. Students just lack the perseverance to finish out the year.”