Flood of awards handed out Monday night

Deigo Ruis is honored at the awards ceremony on Monday night.

Peyton Book

Michelle Lopez, Staff Writer

The flood of rain on Monday night didn’t stop the Greeley West staff and students from hosting their annual Academic Awards Ceremony where students are acknowledged and celebrated for their hard work and contributions to the school.

Despite the awful weather, the evening started with a performance by the GWHS Faculty Choir. The teachers then began to recognize the student recipients of each award which included the top student in each class, department awards, the Gary Weimer Award, and many more.

The highest recognition of the night was the Honor Crest Award which was awarded to twelve seniors. This is the highest honor given by Greeley West High School to outstanding seniors who have had superior achievement and a grand contribution to West over the span of their high school career. The recipients have demonstrated integrity, commitment, achievement, pride in their school, and have exemplified involvement in extra-curricular activities.

Senior Iralynn Carmona who was a recipient of the Honor Crest Award stated the IB program at West along with her teachers and family have helped with her success. “If you just work hard and keep going, it will pay off but just remember to be yourself in the process,” stated Carmona as what she has learned from her high school experience. Carmona also received the IB Student of the Year Award, Honor Student Award, and the IB English Student of the Year.

Other recognitions of the night include the Class of 2017 Valedictorian: Adrian Kline and Marleen Plascencia.