Football team kicking around idea of playing game in Florida

Brody Clark, Staff Writer

The last couple of years the Greeley West football team has been making history and they hope to continue to do so. The Spartans are looking into doing something that few other Northern Colorado high school football teams have ever done before.

The team is looking to travel to Florida to face a Florida opponent for their first game of the 2018 season.

The team would travel to Florida in late August at the beginning of the 2018 school year with the exact date yet to be determined. The trip would be a five day and four night trip. The team would stay in a resort of Disney World.

With the team arriving into Florida on a Wednesday, they would get to have multiple practices before the Friday night kick off. In between the game and practices, the team would get a three-day pass to go to the Disney World theme park. The team would travel back to Colorado that Sunday.

The football aspect of the trip is a varsity game Friday night and a JV game Saturday morning. The game would be played at the ESPN Wide World Sports Complex in Orlando. The entire thing is organized by Kaylee Scholarship Association (KSA), a host of high school sporting events in the Orlando area.

Since this trip is such an amazing opportunity for the Spartans, they are going to make a huge push to make it happen. The Spartans are going to have to fundraise money as the trip is around $1,600. The team plans on irrigating lawns, inviting family to a retirement planning seminar where the company pays $20 for each person who attends, and a Hudl campaign, where potential sponsors are emailed by the team.