Students take break from first day to watch eclipse

Junior Haylie Juhl shares the eclipse experience with a friend via her cell phone on Monday afternoon outside of Greeley West High School.

Jana Datteri, Staff Writer

Students were treated to a special occasion on Monday’s first day of school, as they were let out of fourth period early to witness the total solar eclipse.

Students were given special glasses to watch the  eclipse and given a pep talk during the assembly on their proper usage in the hopes of preventing any eye damage. Science teachers Mr. Ryan Pace and Taylor Plantt gave instructions through a skit with the help of English teacher Mr. Greg McAdams.

At 11:47, the eclipse was at its highest point in which the sun was covered about 95%.  Throughout the half hour students were able to watch the eclipse.  Students also noticed some fun scientific occurrences:  the temperature dropped a few degrees, the wind picked up, and sunlight was slightly darker. Even though there wasn’t a big difference in how light it was, students were still able to see the difference from when they first walked outside to watch it to when it was at its max view.

Junior Haylie Juhl, witnessed the eclipse and was amazed by how the glasses allowed her to see the movement of the eclipse. “The eclipse was amazing and it was awesome being able to see such a rare event.”

Junior, Jackson Morgan, also watched the eclipse. However, he tried to watch the eclipse a different way and use his phone in selfie mode to watch it. “The eclipse was really cool, but using my phone to watch it did not work.  It just looked like the sun.”