Boys tennis ends losing streak to Central

Ivanna Rizo

The Greeley West tennis team poses for a picture after their victory against Greeley Central on Wednesday afternoon at Greeley West High School.

Ivanna Rizo, Staff Writer

The Greeley West boys tennis team christened brand new home courts against its cross town rival on Wednesday afternoon and the day was nothing up a huge success for the Spartans.  West came out on top with a score of 5-2.  

The boys’ tennis team was ecstatic after beating the Wildcats for the first time in six  years! No. 1 singles player, Garrett Fink, said, “It feels great to be part of the team that ended a losing streak and hopefully started a new winning streak for Greeley West.”

The victory had special meaning for the West players who had not typically played a home match on campus.  In years past, the varsity tennis team had played at Centennial Courts because the West courts were not in good enough shape to host a varsity competition.  After the improvements that were paid for by the city of Greeley, West can now host their varsity matches on campus.  The new courts have caused new excitement for the players.

Junior No. 3 singles player Jackson Morgan was equally excited for the the fast start to the new season saying, “I’m proud of the work we did today and hope we continue with the hard work for the rest of the season.”

The Greeley West tennis boys not only had a great match today, but are looking for more great matches in the near future.  The Spartans host Mountain View on Thursday hope to run their record to 3-0 on the season.