Ag program’s newest member brings experience to shop

Bobbie Moss, Staff Writer

Freshman Trace Hurley is a new member to the Greeley West agriculture program who is enthusiastic to learn about the multiple subjects agriculture has to offer. Hurley has expressed his interest due to the fact he has a history of working with rod welding. FFA officers are excited that he is willing to join the FFA junior officer team as the junior president.

While participating in FFA, Hurley has aspirations of raising a calf for his supervised agricultural experience (SAE). Hurley plans to take this learning into raising his own herd of cattle. As well as raising a calf, Hurley is pursuing new knowledge about welding and woodworking. Hurley commented that FFA is a, “cool experience that only is offered at West,” which allows him to pursue the type of knowledge he is after.

Oddly enough, it was Hurley’s grandfather’s neighbor who introduced him into agriculture. Having already attended the Stock Show in Denver Hurley looks forward to enjoying the experience with his new FFA family including the night rodeo. Hurley is eagerly anticipating FFA’s Open Barn Night coming up on September 6 at 5 p.m. He looks forward to showing his parents about the different opportunities FFA has, plus learning about all there is Mr. Kelly Longacre and Ms. Samantha Maxwell have to teach.

He also feels at home and at ease while standing in the ag shop. Longacre said that he is, “always excited to meet new students and invite them into my ag family.”