New lunch policy surprised, pleased student body

Ivanna Rizo, Staff Writer

Lunch is a glorious time to see friends, talk to teachers, but most importantly eat food after working hard for half of the day. Although the school provides lunch, Greeley West is located in an ideal place to go off campus to eat fast food.

For years, Greeley West has had a rule regarding students who could and could not leave campus during lunchtime. In past years, there needed to be permission from the student’s parent to venture off campus by foot or by car.  In addition to parent permission, hall monitors would check student IDs for a certain symbol, usually a Spartan head, before kids were allowed to leave the campus.

A pleasant change surprised students when they came back to school this year.  Administration changed the policy and now anyone can walk or drive off the campus during lunchtime. Principal, Mr. Jeff Cranson said, “We’ve always had an ‘open campus,’ we just had it without the actual status. If a student wanted to leave campus they would find a way to leave.”

Cranson said another consideration for the change was using campus monitors and staff members more efficiently with the large student population.  Other options – like having two lunches per day – were considered before the change was made.

Junior Dorrean Starks, who takes advantage of off campus each day, really likes the change.  Starks said, “It’s liberating and we are able to be independent with our friends.”