Volleyball team sweeps past Northglenn

Tyler Holmes

Greeley West volleyball player Shelby Zuniga spikes the ball during a match against Northglenn on Thursday, August 31.

Tyler Holmes, Staff Writer

The Greeley West volleyball team hosted the Northglenn Norsemen out of Thornton in the Spartans’ second match of the 2017 season. After coming off a tough loss to Berthoud on Tuesday, the Spartans bounced back and won the match in straight games.

After winning the first game with a dominant score of 25-8, the Spartans found a way to come back and win the second game after trailing by 12 at one point. West then went on to finish the match and win the third game 25-9.

Senior Captain Delaynie McPhee stated, “We found a way to come together and get this big win.”

After losing six out of the seven varsity players from the 2016 season, the Spartans are finding a way to come together and start playing as a team.

With a tough schedule ahead, the Spartans hope to keep getting better and try to find a way to scrape a few wins by in the 5A Front Range League. Along with the players getting better, McPhee thinks that varsity head coach Sasha Cohoon is also showing great strides in her second year.

With McPhee being the only player with past varsity experience, Cohoon has challenged her to be a leader on the team and get the inexperienced team to play the volleyball that they are capable of playing.

The next match for the Spartans will be held at Greeley West High School on Saturday, September 9 against the Roosevelt Rough Riders.