Sprint offers free tablets to qualifying kids

Hailey Ortega, Staff Writer

Four weeks into school, students are quickly realizing the homework load that they have. Many teachers give assignments for students using apps like Khan Academy and Schoology. All students use Campus Portal which is an app that allows students to check their grades.

With so many online requirements for students, it is imperative that students have access to the internet to do their homework. For students that don’t have a device or service at their house, it makes doing homework that much more difficult.

Enter Sprint, the cell phone service provider who was looking to do something good for the community. Sprint reached out to District 6 at the start of this school year to get schools to become a part of their Sprint 1Million event.

The Sprint 1Million event is a give-away of free devices to students who don’t have access at home or on their phone in order to do the homework that is assigned online. Sprint will be giving them away at the end of this month, and are looking for qualifying students now.

In order to qualify for the tablet, students have to be unable to afford a phone with data or have internet at home in order to do their homework. They are giving District 6 as many as 200 tablets for any kid they can find that would benefit from the program.

Teachers and principals have gone around classrooms at West seeing if any kids would qualify for a tablet. They are noticing that most kids do have internet at home or a cell phone with data.

Principal Jeff Cranson still wants to make a last-ditch effort to get those who need a device the chance to get hone. He said that students who think they would qualify for the tablet should come to the office and talk to either assistant principal Amy Zulauf or himself about the program. They will then assess your need and get you the information to apply.