West students contribute to Farm to School food program

Tyler Rebeterano and Alex Holguin shuck corn as a fundraiser for the Nutrition

Connor Fagan, Staff Writer

This year, District 6 is doing the Farm to School program again. For the past seven years, District 6 has been participating in this nationwide event. The Farm to School program is where school districts connect with local producers to bring fresh produce into the schools and to teach students where their food comes from.

This year alone, 12 different producers across Northern Colorado have hooked up with the district bringing fresh vegetables, meats, and fruits to District 6’s cafeterias.

District 6 is using the opportunity to shuck the fresh corn as fundraisers for various school projects.  While many schools have participated in the past, Greeley West students shucked corn for three of the nights.

The Greeley West baseball team shucked corn at the Nutritional Services building as a fundraiser for their upcoming trip to California in the spring. The corn that the team shucked is sent out to the 36 school sites and is served for lunch one of the following days.

“It’s hard work, but when the season comes around, you’re glad you did it because you can pay for stuff,” said senior baseball player Tyler Rebeterano.

Greeley West’s FFA chapter also shucked corn as a fundraiser for their upcoming road trip to Nationals, which is being held in Indiana on October 21-28.