West graduates set good example for senior class

Mo Duran, Staff Writer

Most Greeley West students are waiting for graduation just so they no longer have to go to school as made mandatory by the state. Many students who graduated in the past few years moved on successfully. They joined the workforce, went to college, got a certificate in a professional field or enlisted. Some moved out of state, others stayed right here in Greeley.

Aaron Zimola, graduated student in the class of 2014 in his final years at UNC has big plans for the future. He began his academic career at UNC as a violin performance major, but later switched to marketing, two majors on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. He currently owns two companies, and plans to invest in more once he graduates.

Austin Prather, graduate of the 2016 class, enlisted immediately after graduation and is currently stationed in Korea. He knew that he was going to go into the army most of his senior year, however he was at risk for being turned down due to his low weight.

Skye Pacheco, graduate of the 2017 class spent weeks during her senior year deciding where to go, Boulder or Denver based on scholarship opportunities and school programs. She knew she wanted to study nursing, but it was a big decision to make on where would give her the best education.

Schools often push to have their students declare what they plan to do once they graduate however it is not typical for 17-18 year olds to make definitive decisions about their lives before being exposed to various options through the workforce or secondary education. All of the teachers and counselors are willing to help with decision making, letters of recommendation, and applications for colleges and scholarships. If students are unsure now, nothing is set in stone, even post graduation.