High-performance students awarded with breakfast, academic letters

The Greeley West gymnasium turned into a breakfast joint on Friday morning for the annual Honors Breakfast.

Hailey Ortega, Staff Writer

Greeley West held its annual honor’s breakfast before the start of school on Friday in the main gym. This year, the school rewarded students who finished last year with a GPA of 3.4 and above.

Both students and their parents were invited and were breakfast burritos, fruit and different pastries. This year, 137 students were invited to the event. Sixty-seven of them have a 3.8 GPA or above.

With this year’s budget, the school had to cut down on who they could invite. Last year, qualifications to attend the breakfast included a 3.0 GPA or higher. With over 200 students who met that criteria this year, West chose to make the breakfast a bit more exclusive.

The rewards did not stop with the burrito and bagel, however. Students who finished the semester with a 3.75 GPA or better for both semesters lettered academically.  The “W”  is award your first year and some students received a pin to add to an earlier letter.

Sophomore Angelina Ramirez attended this morning with her mom. She was able to letter in academics for this past year. Ramirez stated, “I’m just really proud of myself for getting good grades my first year of high school, especially in the IB program.”