Managers make coaches’ jobs easier

Jacelyn Hays, Staff Writer

In the 2017-2018 sports season, Greeley West has managers helping the teams out.  The teams count on their managers to get the players water, fetch the balls, or fill out the score cards. Each sport has at least one manager that the coaches typically pick themselves. The managers are very helpful when it comes to game day.

For three years now, the football team has had one loyal manager. Junior, Levette Sanchez, has been there for the team since her freshman year. Sanchez said, “The best part about being a manager is being close up to the games and building strong relationships with the coaches.”  The football team currently has five managers including Sanchez. Sanchez is the head manager for the team and enjoys that position.

This season for the boys’ soccer team, there is a new manager. This manager is junior, Celena Alvarez. As the soccer manager, Alvarez, tends to the player’s needs, such as getting water, setting out cones, and counting the soccer balls. Alvarez says that the advantages of being a manager for soccer is that she gets to work out with the players and practicing more for the girls soccer season. “The best thing is, I get the advantage of working on my soccer skills and practicing more for the girls’ season,” said Alvarez.

For the tennis team this season, there are four managers, all of which play tennis themselves. “All of our managers are very helpful,” said assistant coach Taylor Plantt. The tennis managers have jobs like getting water, filling out score cards, and preparing the courts between matches.

“Since I play tennis myself, I am able to play with the guys. It is my off-season; however, it is a big advantage to be able to hit with the guys every day,” said junior Jana Sherif. Sherif is one of the four managers and believes that the best thing about being a manager is having fun and being able to excel at the sport even when it is off-season.