Tennis team ready for regionals

Hailey Ortega, Staff Writer

With the end of tennis season approaching, Greeley West boys’ tennis is getting ready to give it all they got. Tuesday, September 28th the tennis team traveled to Loveland for an all-day conference. At the conference, all players played until they lost.

No. 1 singles player junior Garrett Fink won his first match and then lost to the number one kid in the Front Range. To get ready for regionals next week Fink wants to work on keeping it cool and not getting frustrated during the matches.

No. 2 singles junior Terrence Williams, struggled in his first match to keep up. With scores 3-6 for the first set, 6-1 in the second set and 6-3 in the third set, taking the win for that match. His second opponent was a Broomfield Italian foreign exchange student and lost 0-6 and 2-6. For regionals next week Williams hopes to get an easier draw and wants to work on closing games.

The No. 1 doubles team of Tyler Holmes and Tyler Rebeterano, played the ninth seed and won. When they played the first seed, they lost. Rebeterano said, “We need to find ways to finish games.”

Coach Ryan Pace said their best options for regionals and state are first singles though first doubles because that is where they have been strongest throughout the year, but also states, “Anyone can win on any given day.”

To get ready for the upcoming matches Pace says they will work most on pressure points, game points and how to finish a game.