Teachers recall their days of Greeley West spirit during Homecoming week

Jana Datteri, Staff Writer

As Homecoming approaches, it’s fitting to look back and know the true purpose of the event.  Homecoming has always been about graduates who return to the school in a sort of reunion.  Most students just think it’s an excuse to have a dance, but some teachers at Greeley West recall the days of their time and find Homecoming to be one of the most important weeks of the year.

Despite the change in school spirit, some traditions at Greeley West are long-standing, including  spirit week. The majority of the school participated in spirit week then, just like they do now.

In the old days, there was also a Powder Puff game. For those few who did not participate in Powder Puff, they stood in the student section to cheer on their friends. The Homecoming dance was a very big deal and the gym was always packed. “It was a privilege to be able to go to the dance. It was very rare if someone did not go to the actual dance,” math teacher and Greeley West graduate, Ms. Jane Burke said.

At the Homecoming game, the students nominated for royalty were introduced while driving a convertible around the track, donated by local car dealerships.  In addition to the selection of royalty, throughout Homecoming week, students were nominated for different off-beat awards, such as, best nose and best hair.

The winners of the student choice awards were crowned at the Homecoming pep assembly, which no longer occurs.

When Burke was a student at Greeley West, asking somebody to Homecoming was not a big deal.  That’s right, no Homecoming proposals. “If you wanted to go to Homecoming with someone, you would just walk up to them in the halls and ask,” Burke stated.

PE teacher Mr. Tory Hanson, who was also a student at Greeley West from 1982-85, thinks school spirit around West is dead – or at least on life support.  “(Back then)I would walk the halls and all I would see would be lettermen jackets worn from both girls and boys. Everyone had school spirit and it was a huge honor to be able to go to Greeley West,” Hanson elaborated.  “High school was the best years of my life and I have so much pride knowing I went to Greeley West.”