DECA students prepare for District competition on Halloween

Brody Clark, Staff Writer

The 2017 DECA competition is looking to be a little spookier than usual. The DECA club will be having their regionals competition on Tuesday, October 31, which is also Halloween. The team will be taking all 24 students to the Union Colony Civic Center to compete in the District 7 competition. There will be 14 schools at this competition, from local schools, Central and University, to schools all the way from Brighton, Prairie View.

The Greeley West team has been preparing for this because it is the biggest competition and will be determining who will get to travel to state. They have three ways of preparing by taking business classes, checking out textbooks, and even studying the questions that have been asked at previous competitions.

At the competition there will be groups competing and individuals competing. Students score at the competition by taking three tests. The first test is an online test that is taken a week before the competition and is 100 questions. The kids have 60 minutes to take the test and the amount of questions they get right is the amount of points they get. The next two tests are from the competition where the group or person will be given a question and will have to answer the question then perform a reenactment of it. Both of those tests are also out of 100 points, which makes the whole competition 300 points where the teams with the most points will win.

With this year’s competition being at the UCCC, Greeley West will get to see the ceremony for the first time in two years. The competitions used to be in Denver, where they had to leave before the ceremony because of bus issues.  This year it is in Greeley and the team will get to experience the ceremony.

Tosh Swapp, the President of DECA, said, “I am really excited for this year’s competition, I am hoping that my team will be able to move onto state. We also have almost quadrupled the amount of kids in the club and that is really exciting for me since I am the president.”