Eight Spartans qualify for DECA’s State Competition

Brody Clark, Staff Writer

Greeley West’s DECA team had great success at their last competition. The team traveled just a few minutes to Union Colony Civic Center and competed against other schools from their region. They came out of the competition with eight kids who qualified for state – five seniors and three sophomores.

This is the most qualifiers that Mr. Rich Dufault has had while at West.  He was was very pleased with their performance. “I am very excited since we have never had this many qualifiers and they all exceeded my expectations.” Default said about the competition.

The five seniors that are going are Allison Ramirez in accounting applications, Easton Elliot and Alexia Voss in Hospitality Services team event, Michelle Lopez in hotel and lodging management, and Spencer Evans in Financial Consulting.

The sophomores that are going are, Karla Ibarra Ruiz in principles of business management and administration, Ryan Wethington in principles of finance, and Ilijah Pearson in entrepreneurship.

The team will travel to Colorado Springs to the Broadmoor Hotel on February 25 for a 3 day competition to see who will place at state.

Out of these eight students, only one has been to state before. Evans who is s senior and qualified for state as a sophomore, but didn’t qualify last year. He will be leading the Spartans in Colorado Springs with being the only one with experience. “I am really excited to stay at the Broadmoor because how nice it is and it will make it a lot of fun. With previous experience, I feel confident and will hopefully be able to place,” Evans commented on going to state.