Poms, Cheers win league title at Fossil Ridge

Brody Clark, Staff Writer

On Monday November 6, the Greeley West Poms traveled to Fossil Ridge High School to compete in Front Range competition. The Poms who are led by captains Peyton Book, Jacelyn Hays, and Jana Datteri, took first in the Jazz Division.

The team took more of an emotional approach to theme and performed to “Stand By Me” by Florence and the Machine. The team dressed up in a white-laced outfit and danced at a slower speed than West students are accustomed to seeing. They used the emotional appeal to give their dance more meaning.

The Spartans’ path to a division title went through Horizon, the only other team in the category.  West dominated them in point totals, 84-73. In an era where most dance competitions are decided by hundredths of a point, this was a blowout.

The team will be putting their focus into State which is December 9 at the Denver Coliseum. They will be doing their Hip-Hop dance. This is an exciting time for the Spartans as of coming off last year’s competition taking third.

Senior caption Peyton Book said, “For my last league competition, it was a great one to remember. I am so proud of the whole team. We need to practice a lot and get ready for state.”

The cheerleaders also won their division which was a co-ed category.  They were the only team competing.