3A passes, changes will come to Greeley West

Ivanna Rizo, Staff Writer

On Tuesday November 7, Ballot Measure 3A passed in Greeley, leaving a big impact on Greeley West and the rest of District 6.

3A was a property tax increase where taxes on homes worth more than $200,000 will be raised by $144. All homes within the District 6 boundaries will be taxed the money starting in January of 2018. Home owners are not the only property owners who the tax will affect. Any commercial business that is worth one million dollars or more, will have to pay the mill levy as well. The tax will last seven years unless the voters re-approve the measure in a future election.

The money earned from the 3A tax will be used to better schools and the programs within the school. Money will be used to help the infrastructure of school buildings where repairs are needed, help achieve more and more efficient technology, pay for more transportation to and from school for students, and go toward student safety. The tax is the only way for schools to ask for funding.

West teachers are ecstatic about their students getting support in their education. Social studies teacher Ms. Lea Sanford said she was, “really excited and hopeful that the people of Greeley and Evans have decided to support our future. I know this money will go a long way in making the lives of our students better.”