West students ‘strengthen string culture’ at West

Megan Battleson, Staff Writer

On Tuesday November 7, Fraser Hall on the University of Northern Colorado campus was infested with teachers, students, family, and friends as the Campus String Orchestra performed their first concert as a group. The ensemble is comprised of 32 musicians, five of which are current Greeley West students.

As the first semester came to an end, the ensemble put together a repertoire of pieces ranging from a Tchaikovsky symphony to a more modern suite by Francis Feese titled Red Rocks Suite.

The group kicked off the night by the “Prelude and Fugue in D Minor” originally composed by Bach, and arrangement by Robert Frost. Another arrangement by Frost of “Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, II” by Pyotr Tchaikovsky followed the opener.

Red Rocks Suite, a three movement piece by Francis Feese, continued the energy, and led up to the finale of the night. The ensemble left the audience with a “Symphony No. 88, Finale- Abridged”, an arrangement of a classic composition by Franz Joseph Haydn.

For a group that meets only two hours a week, senior violist Saul Mercado commented, “It ended out really well; we managed to get a lot done in a little bit of time.” The students were able to join and contribute to a collegiate level ensemble with only nine rehearsals as a complete group.

“It’s cool to see them pursuing music on their own outside of West,” said West orchestra director, Mr. Tom Nugent, “Anything that strengthens string culture in Greeley, I’m a fan of.”