West Word

West choir honored to sing for Eagles game

Greeley+West+choir+members+stand+along+the+ice%2C+waiting+for+their+opportunity+to+perform+the+National+Anthem+at+the+Colorado+Eagles+game.++
Greeley West choir members stand along the ice, waiting for their opportunity to perform the National Anthem at the Colorado Eagles game.

Mo Duran

Mo Duran

Mo Duran, Staff Writer

Last Saturday night, the Greeley West High School Jazz Choir traveled to Loveland for the Eagles Hockey game where they performed the National Anthem before their hockey game.  Mrs. Hannah Webster, who directs the choirs at Greeley West, used her connections from performing as a solo artist to get the Jazz Choir the opportunity to sing in front of nearly 6000 people.

The Eagles organization is known to be very supportive of education and schools performing the anthem are just one of the ways they contribute to local schools.  Discounted tickets were provided to the student body and staff for the game, as well.

Of the students who attended the event, many remained to watch the Eagles game, a victory for the Colorado club.  Webster said that the anthem was more relaxing than anything else, since it was not tied to a game or an evaluation. “While formal events are great, it’s always fun to go out into the community and perform with these less stressful events,” Webster said. “The Eagles make it a really good time for the kids.”

Sophomore Ricky Carmona, who was one of the students who performed on the ice that evening and attended his first Eagles game that night, said “It was a good performance on our part and it was an honor for the Eagles to invite us,” Carmona said.