Construction of temporary elementary school rooms begins on campus

Tyler Holmes

Work is beginning on six portable buildings that will house Meeker students who have been displaced by flooding.

Brody Clark, Staff Writer

Early in November, Meeker Elementary School was severely damaged by a water main break.  District officials have found that the school was damaged bad enough to move onto Plan B, worried that the school won’t be accessible for the rest of the year.

The initial solution to the problem was to move  kids into the Generations Church across the street from Greeley West, where they have been attending class since November 9th.  Now, the school district is making the move even more permanent by building temporary facilities for the elementary school on Greeley West property.

On the north side of the school in the field where football and soccer practice, Meeker is adding six buildings that will consist of 12 classrooms to help with the crowding inside the church. These six buildings will impact spring sports, as they are going to sit in the location where the soccer and track teams have practiced in the past.  The football team has also used the location for spring drills.