Students will find schedules half-way done tomorrow on first day of registration

Hailey Ortega, Staff Writer

This year Greeley West is doing something a little different when it comes to student schedules for the following year. Counselors at Greeley West said that nearly half the students do not turn in their sheet in order to register for classes the following year, which puts a lot more work on the counselors having to do about over 1,500 schedules for all students.

This year after having a conversation with staff in the building, it has been decided that the teachers who have the students every day and know more about their career choices, test scores, and their skill levels could best help with knowing what core classes to put students in for the next year.

All core teachers like math, English, science, social studies will have the input to put in their thoughts on the classes students should be enrolled in for the following year. Teachers had until today to turn in their recommendations, as students will get the chance to see them and make their final decision on Wednesday during homeroom.

If a student feels like they do not want the class their teacher registered them for, or are interested in taking another one, they have to set up a meeting with their teacher now for the subject along with their counselor.

Junior counselor Ms. Marlene Rich said one of the reasons for doing this is to get a decrease in schedule changes. Any teachers who have to make these recommendations should be having conversations with their students about the classes available next year and the ones that they believe the student would excel in before making the recommendation.