West staff, students work to keep community safe in stressful times

Jana Datteri, Staff Writer

Earlier this week, the Greeley West staff and administration met to discuss the measures they are going to take to protect the students after the recent devastating shooting at Parkland High School in Florida. The meeting was to decide when we should have lockdown drills and a reminder of guidelines to teachers.

Little did the staff know, they’d put it into action quickly.  On Wednesday, around 1:30 p.m., a student at West informed Principal Mr. Jeff Cranson about a possible threat. Cranson contacted the Greeley police department right away and announced a Lock Out to the school. Around 1:50 pm, the police department found the threat was not credible and students were released from the Lock Out.

Today, more students reported a different posting on social media that was also deemed to be not credible.  Administration is excited students are coming forward and sharing their concerns for safety, as it helps to prevent violence at school

With the recent events that continue to happen, it has allowed students to think about what they would do if they were in a situation like that. Junior, Bryana Martinez, stated, “Everyone knows what to do when there is a fire because we always have fire drills, but what do we do if there is a shooting?” At the meeting, the staff decided there should be more lockdown drills and make sure students are prepared.

In many instances, students are afraid to tell someone about a possible threat because they do not want to be known as a “snitch.” To avoid this, Cranson is excited to announce a new website called “Safe2Tell.” On this website, students will be able to tell Cranson about a possible threat but stay anonymous. “I am hoping that students will feel safer to tell someone about the threat if it is anonymous,” Cranson stated.

Due to the Florida shooting, several students are taking action to make a change so an event so tragic does not continue to occur. On Wednesday, March 14th, at 10:00 a.m. there will be a nationwide walkout for 17 minutes. Seventeen minutes is meant to honor the seventeen staff and students who lost their life on February 14th. On April 20, there will be another walkout, “March for Our Lives” to remember what happened on April 20, 1999 at Columbine High School.

“I support the students who want to participate in the walkout. I think it nice for students to have an opinion on this and want to help make a change,” Cranson stated.