Group of students protest gun issues on patio

Bobbie Moss

Students hold signs while others look at their cell phones during a student protest at Greeley West High School on Friday.

Bobbie Moss, Staff Writer

Today at 10 a.m., dozens of Greeley West students stood at the flag pole with hearts filled with the memories of the 17 fallen students and staff at the Florida school shooting.

Students stood for 17 minutes in hope to prove that as a school we need change.

With the supervision of principal Mr. Jeff Cranson, counselors and hall monitors, the students held signs with sayings  like “we are students and we need change” as well as “a student shouldn’t be scared to come to school.”

Students led chants expressing their concerns and what they want changed. They expressed how things have to change now with statements of gun control and armed teachers.

“We want change, we want the government to do something about gun control so that it’s not easy for people to access guns so easily,” junior Alexa Ibarra said.

Filled with satisfaction, students walked around the school and disbanded and headed back to class before they were marked absent for the day.

Most students chose not to participate.  “I figured it was going to fail because it wasn’t organized,” junior Bryan Galindo said.  Galindo stayed in class.