Group of DECA students enjoy state experience

Mo Duran, Staff Writer

On Sunday Feb. 24, the Greeley West DECAteam headed off to state to compete and spend a weekend surrounded by the best business leaders in the rest of Colorado.

Each student got to participate in events. Spencer Evans competed in Financial Consulting, Alexia Voss in Hospitality, Easton Elliott in Team Decision Making, Karla Ibarra-Ruis in Principals of Business and Marketing, Ryan Wethington in Principals of Finance, Ilijah Pearson in Entrepreneurship, Allison Ramirez in Accounting Applications, and Michelle Lopez in Hotel Lodging and Management. Evans qualified for finals in his category, but did not qualify for nationals.

The program began on Sunday with opening ceremonies once they arrived in Colorado Springs. The events and conferences were spread out over the course of three days, with plenty of time for contestants and spectators to rest in between. There were professional luncheons that students were invited to attend. On Tuesday before everyone returned home; closing ceremonies included the naming of the state officer positions for the upcoming year.

“As a team we all did really well,” stated Ramirez. “It was really nice getting to know each other and learn more about the team.”