APES students test air for class project, presentation

Peyton Book

Michael DeLaRosa presents to UNC students during an AP Environmental Science project.

Tyler Holmes, Staff Writer

Students around Greeley who are enrolled in AP Environmental Studies classes, otherwise known as “APES”, have been working on a project about air quality for the past month. The project is based off of the AQ-IQ curriculum. AQ-IQ stand for Air Quality Inquiry.

Last Thursday, West APES students headed to UNC to present their projects to the public. Most of the students did the project in groups of three or two.

Each group of students were given certain equipment that detected the quality of the air in a certain area. The student’s job was to go around town and test the air in different parts of Greeley.

Seniors Peyton Book and Michelle Lopez did their project in two different areas. The first place that Book and Lopez tested was a hair salon. After they tested the hair salon, they ventured off to a nail salon. They found that the air quality in those certain areas were similar due to the similar products used.

“I had a lot of fun doing this project. It was a little bit of work, but at the end when we were presenting our work I realized it was all the work was worth it to do make sure that we did a good job on the project.” Book stated.